The rainbow mountains is a place where geology meets psychedelic colors and lines.
The beauty of the snow-peaked Andean mountains serving as a backdrop for the breathtaking views that this jaw-dropping attraction has is simply something that no one should miss out while visiting Cusco.
Located in a remote location that not long ago was covered with glaciers, the Rainbow mountain dessertic area resembles lunar landscapes inhabited by llamas, alpacas and Quechua speaking herders that have preserved their ancient pre-columbian traditions, the rainbow mountain is an excellent one or two-day destination for those who crave for the exclusive.
- Hike Distance: 12.1 km / 7.5 miles
- Difficulty: Moderate/difficult
- Duration: Duration: Full Day- 2:30am- 4pm
- Rainbow mountain elevation: 4450m (14,600ft) – 5035m (16,520ft
- Rainbow mountain Peru Weather: See below
- Seasons: From March 1 until January 31 (February is closed due to heavy rains and snow in the mountains)
- Hike Trail Map: See below
- Cusco Drive Time: 3hr 45min+
- Town Nearest Hike: Pitumarca
- Highlights: High Andean Puna, Urubamba mountain range views, scenic trail, grassland area, local villages, wildlife: prairie horses and dogs, Vizcachas and Andean foxes, Birds; Andean Caracara, Condors, Chiguanco thrush.
- Activities: Hiking trail, geological formations sightseeing, nature and Andean community visits.
- Professional, bilingual Tour Guide
Collection from hotel
- Return transportation to Cusco
- *1 breakfast, 1 lunch, 1-afternoon snack
- Horseman and mules (they carry cooking equipment)
- Extra oxygen
- First Aid kit
- *Vegetarian/special diet options available
- Walking boots
- Waterproof jacket/rain poncho
- Warm jacket
- Hat and gloves
- Hand sanitizer
- Comfortable trousers
- Sun hat
- Sun protection cream
- Personal medication
Price: From $130 per person 120$ for 3 people or more.
Our itinerary is tailored to guarantee that our customers will get there before the massive crowds swarm the area.
We pick you up from your hotel and take you on a 3.5-hour bus ride to Vinicunca, where we stop briefly to have a super powerful breakfast made of Andean products such as Quinoa and chocolate before we start our climb to the amazing Rainbow mountains of Peru.
After our delicious breakfast, we will start our slow ascend to the rainbow mountains of Cusco. The rail to the Rainbow mountains is quite clear with no chances to get lost.
However, the altitude of this place is a challenge that we must overcome along the way to reach the lookout of these magnificent rainbow mountains.
It takes about 2.5 hours to make it to the top walking at a slow pace.
Our guides will make sure that your experience hiking at this altitude will be a pleasant learning experience.
They will explain to you about the rainbow mountain geology as well as the people and landscape along the way.
After we enjoy the best views of the rainbow mountain and we take the most beautiful pictures -free of other people interfering- of this unbelievable place, we will start our slow descent down to our starting point, where we will have a tasty lunch before we return back to Cusco.